Search Engine Optimization - 14 Apr 2015
Tips on SEO For Responsive Websites
The pressure on businesses to develop an SEO strategy for responsive websites has been greatly increased due to an upcoming Google update that will significantly affect mobile user’s search results.As of April 21, 2015, Google will be rolling out a new algorithm that will essentially promote websites that, according to Google, are “Mobile friendly”.
On the flip side, Google will be downgrading websites that do not meet mobile friendly standards. In just a few weeks time, users conducting mobile searches will be receiving search results based on the most relevant mobile friendly sites, versus the most relevant sites based solely on search terms.This re-facing of mobile searching falls in line with Google’s desire for businesses to focus on delivering a high calibre user experience.
Last year, Google conducted an independent study that produced informative findings around mobile users and local search:
• 72 percent of consumers who searched for local information on their smartphone visited a store within 5 miles.
• 50 percent of consumers who conducted a local search on their smartphone visited a store within a day.
These statistics drive home the importance that businesses will need to incorporate responsive websites into their SEO plan, in order to maintain incoming profits, or attract future profits.
Here are some tips on SEO for responsive websites that can prevent online businesses from missing out on a huge online market:
• Develop good quality, concise content
• Ensure that you group content by relevance
• Use breadcrumb navigation to enhance user ability to navigate the site
• Avoid the use of horizontal scrolling
• Do not overuse keywords, as doing so will harm SEO rankings
• Structure URLs to be static, descriptive, and inclusive of keywords
• Optimize website images to enhance user experience and include keywords with images
• Optimize for quick page load times, to avoid website abandonment
• Avoid flash for navigation
• Ensure to test the website to ensure it functions well over various browsers
This steady trend in mobile use will continue to push businesses to deliver seamless experiences for mobile users. Responsive design, coupled with effective SEO implementation, will no longer be just a valuable investment for online businesses, but an essential tool for business survival in a highly competitive market.